27 Jan 2020

“Ways to Maintain F-1 Status!”

“Ways to Maintain F-1 Status!”

For international students, it is important to maintain F-1 student status. Here is the list of things that F-1 students must pay attention:

First, when you arrive to the United States, F-1 student must enter the United States no more than 30 days before your program of study begins. And when you enter the United States, you must contact your designated school official (DSO). And when you arrive at Sierra States University, you need to contact your DSO again, no later than the program start date listed on your Form I-20.

Second, while studying in the United States, F-1 student must attend and pass all your classes. If you are unable to complete your program by the end date listed on your Form I-20, talk with your DSO about requesting a possible program extension. You must take a full course of study each term. You should not drop a class without first speaking with your DSO.

Third, F-1 students must complete at least one full academic year at Sierra to be eligible for annual vacation. Additionally, students must intend to register for classes in the academic term following their annual vacation. Please note that during an annual vacation, students can take as many, as few or no courses as they want.

F-1 students are eligible for optional practical training during or following the program of study. OPT is a form of temporary employment that directly related to your program of study.

F-1 students must take action to maintain legal status or depart the United States after completing your program of study. Once your complete your program of study and any authorized period of practical training, F-1 students have 60 days after completion of your program to leave the United States. If you want to extend your stay in the United States, talk with your DSO to learn more about your option.

If you are an F student studying in the United States, your DSO should be the first person you talk with if you have any questions regarding the legal requirements of your stay in the United States. For instance, F-1 students should speak with their DSO if you are planning to change your major, program, degree level, educational level, transfer to a new school or take a leave of absence, take a break from school, travel outside the United States, move to a new address or request a program extension.